Friday, July 30, 2010

Fitness (and food) Friday

This week is all about pushups!  A bunch of us started a pushup challenge mid June that was definitely an intense upper body challenge.  We followed the 100 pushup program located at hundredpushup.com.  (hyperlink isnt working for some reason – grrrrr Blogger!  grrrr)  The program is designed to get you do 100 pushups in a row, on your toes in 6 weeks.  While we all definitely got stronger – I don’t know that any of us can do 100 in a row.  However, we definitely can do 100 pushups over the course of 5 sets with 60-120 seconds of rest in between.  So I think we definitely accomplished something!  Only problem is that we all kind of fell off the wagon while at Cass Lake.  So it looks like we’ll be starting over!  So this would be the perfect time for others to join in!  Who wants in?  We start Monday!  Even if you can’t do ONE pushup on your toes – that’s okay.  This program is even for beginner pushup-ers!  Seriously!  Have a look over the program and let me know what you think.  It is pretty intense starting at week 3 or so, but it definitely was fun to challenge myself (and I think everyone else who did it can agree on that) and also to see my strength increase.  Before I started, I could do 15 pushups on my toes with good form.  I think now I can at least do 30 – maybe 40 on my toes.  So, lets give it a try people!  You can doooooo eeeeeet!

        Here I am demonstrating and dealing with my usual obstacles.  I find its better to do them during naptime! : )

 

DSC_9261Also, lately I’ve been getting a lot of questions from people wonder what it is I am eating.  So, since I have a blog and I have an opinion – guess I better state it, right!?  However, I’m finding that taking pictures of food is not as easy as you would think.  Lighting and dishes are a BIG factor and I haven’t ideal dishes OR lighting.  So bear with me.  First up, is a typical Trishy snack.  This is Chobani Greek Yogurt, granola and raspberries.  Chobani Greek Yogurt is THE BEST when it comes to greek yogurt.  I like it because it has double the amount of protein compared to regular yogurt and since my kids don’t eat a lot of meat some days – I like that they get protein from this yogurt.  Its deeeelish!   

DSC_9243This is the granola that I used on top of the yogurt.  Its awesome!  I actually got it at Walmart, if you can believe that.  Their health food section keeps getting bigger and bigger and I am very pleased about that!  Now if they could just get more checkers…

DSC_9177

Here is a side dish I’ve been enjoying the past few days.  No one else ate them, but whatever.  I don’t care!  Their loss!  Actually, I made Eric try one and he didn’t say he didn’t like it.   Anyway, these are kale chips.  All you do is tear the leaves of the kale off of the stem (wash them first of course).  Tear them into chip size pieces.  Put them on a baking sheet and top them with a little olive oil (I used my Misto sprayer so that they were lightly coated) and some salt and pepper.  Put them in a 300 degree oven for 10-15 minutes and then flip them over and put them back in for another 10-15 minutes.  Watch them though – cuz I could see them burning quite quickly.  They are crispy and crunchy and strangely addictive!  I ate the whole pan! : ) DSC_9208Here is another staple around here.  Quinoa.  Its a lovely protein laden grain.  Love it!  Its very versatile and easy to be creative with.  I love it with veggies and black beans especially.

I had to laugh because this picture makes it look like we are eating raw ground beef!  See – I told you food pictures were hard!  Its actually quinoa that is topped with tomato sauce, broccoli, roasted chicken and a little cheese on top.  Delish as well!  DSCN0818

     Did you know that Walmart carries Muir Glen Organic products?! Seriously – Walmart is moving up on my list!  DSC_9244

And finally, sweet potatoes.  Avery LOVES sweet potatoes, so I like to make them often for her since she seems to turn her nose up at broccoli (Dylan’s favorite veggie) unless its hidden in something else (like the quinoa dish).  For last night’s dinner, I just thinly sliced them into discs, coated them in olive oil (using the Mister again) and baked them at 425 degrees until I decided they were done! LOL.  I have no idea how long they were in there.  I just like them to get toasted but they can go from toasted to burnt pretty quickly.  Avery’s are more mushy tho.DSC_9246   DSCN0811 Well, thats it for this week!  Sure wish I could figure out how to get a different comment program on here so I could comment back to you all.  I found one, but I kept getting a message saying that my computer blocks the program from doing something, yada yada yada – whatever that means.  So I guess until I figure something out, I will just comment back on FB if I post the link to this over there.

   Have a lovely day everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment