Friday, March 25, 2011

SnotRod Soup

Good morning!  The house is quiet and its "mama time" so I thought I'd let you peek at some of yesterday's happenings.  The kids and I went for a walk to the bridge because the ducks are all starting to return.  There is open water there so thats where they all hang out.  So we went to take a gander.

DSC 5700

The big white ones standing on the ice are the Trumpeter Swans.  If I had a savvy well marked blog, I'd link you back to the pictures I took of the Trumpeters two years ago.  Actually, I think Eric may have taken the one that turned out great.  ???  I can't remember.  Anyway, they needed to come closer.  Could barely see them. : (

DSC 5702

Avos was mad about that too.  She wanted to GET THOSE BIRDS!

DSC 5704

Can you tell they are posing for me?  LOL!  I said, stand together and look at the ducks.  They did just that.  And it only lasted a few seconds and then Dylan turned around and said, "done?"  Uggg.  I guess. ; )

DSC 5709

Avery took his hat and then he pushed her down trying to get it back.  That was the end of out time outside.  She was angry!

DSC 5716

Today's soup de jour - SnotRod Soup.  Yeah, so I made up that name to please Dylan.  I've made this soup quite a few times and its always a hit with the kids.  Avery laps it up pretty quickly!  Well, not so much yesterday.  She was being "difficult" yesterday.  Finally I just gave up and took her out of her highchair.  Then Eric came down from his office and wouldn't ya know it - the little turd ate it just fine for him!  She requested seconds even.  Lame, Avos, LAME!  Especially since this really is one of her favorites.  And for good reason.  Its pretty fabulous.

DSC 5718

SnotRod Soup

Adapted from Williams Sonoma catalog! (LOL)

1TB olive oil

1 yellow onion, chopped

4 cups butternut squash puree (I used 2 15 ounce cans, but if you cant find that - you'll have to roast your own and puree it yourself)

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced

2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable if you want this to be a veg meal)

2 small bay leaves

3 tsp salt, plus more to taste

1/4 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp grated fresh ginger (tip: I keep my ginger in the freezer so I always have some on hand)

In saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil and onion.  Cook until soft.  Transfer onion to slow cooker.  Add butternut squash puree, apple, stock, bay leaves, 3 tsp salt, coriander and ginger to slow cooker.  Stir to combine.  Cover and cook for 2 hours.  I did mine on high for 1 hour and then low for the rest of the time.  You can leave it all in there for longer than 2 hours if you want.  Just don't have the temp on too high or it might burn.

Discard bay leaves.  Using a stick blender (or if you have to, a blender or food processor) puree the soup until smooth.  I like to serve this with crusty bread or sandwiches.  Enjoy!

 

The white stuff you see there is a dollop of greek yogurt.  It didn't add anything, so next time I'd omit it.  We've put sour cream in it before and that was good though!  : )

Well, since it's Fitness Friday - I will have another post for you shortly.  Now....if only I could figure out how to imbed a video here....hmmm.  Stay tuned!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment